Canada Visitor Visa, also commonly called Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Tourist Visa are issued to all eligible applicants who wish to visit Canada. It takes the shape of a little sticker (counterfoil) that is attached to a page in your passport. Ensure that you’re eligible to travel to Canada at the time of your application. A Visitor Visa is not a right but a privilege so your application may be granted or otherwise. Although you’ve been granted a TRV, the Canadian Border Services Officers (BSO) reserve the right to decide whether you’re fit for entry into the country before you’re allowed entry. The officers also determine the duration of your stay which is usually up to 6 months. 

The Government of Canada website defines a visitor as a person who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada and is legally authorised to enter Canada to: visit Canada on holiday (vacation), visit family, conduct business, etc. Visitors are subject to certain stipulated restrictions and have a limited time to stay within the country. You can apply for the Visitor Visa through two channels, either online with a paper application or in person at a Visa Application Centre(VAC). The processing time for a Canadian Visa differs based on the kind of visa you’re applying for and other factors such as your current country of residence where you are applying from. 

Not every person visiting Canada is required to possess a visitor visa for entry. Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons who are citizens of countries that are regarded as visa-exempt. 

Types of Canada Visitor Visa

There are two types of Temporary Visitor Visas that may be granted to visa applicants.  They are;

Single Entry Visa

You are only permitted to enter Canada once with a single entry visa. A single-entry visa is no longer valid after you leave the country. If you wish to return to Canada, you must obtain a new Visitor Visa as your previous Visa can only be used to gain entry one time only. 

There are certain situations that will make you only qualify for a Visitor Visa, these situations are;

  • you qualify for a fee exemption and your purpose in Canada is for a limited and specific reason (such as an official visit by a foreign national), 
  • you’re participating in a one-time special event taking place in Canada
  •  there are predetermined and accepted country-specific processes or rules in place. 

Please note that If you are leaving Canada to travel directly to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) or St. Pierre and Miquelon before your single entry visa expires, you won’t require a new visitor visa to enter Canada.

Multiple Entry Visa

A valid multiple entry visa allows you to enter and exit Canada as many times as you like for six months at a time. The visa may be valid for up to ten years but the exact duration of your visa validity is determined by the officer who issues it. It could also be valid for one month before your passport expires. It’s a requirement that you arrive in Canada before or on the expiry date of your Visitor Visa. 

Other status documents such as a study or work permit may be attached to your Visitor Visa depending on whether your situation calls for it. Canada grants multiple entry visa for status documents such as this. If you leave Canada during the course of your studies or work, you may return to Canada without having to apply for a new Visitor Visa as long as your permit and visa are both legal and valid. 

You do not need to specify which type of Visitor Visa you want, all applicants are automatically considered for multiple entry visas. Single entry visas are only granted in the special situations listed above or as determined by the administration.

Visitor Visa Extension 

As a visitor, you are legally allowed to reside in Canada for up to six months at a time, whether your visa is single entry or multiple entry. Your legal status will expire at the conclusion of this period, and you must depart Canada.

However, if you wish to stay longer than the six months period, you must apply while you are still considered a temporary resident. Your application for an extension should be done at least 30 days before your current status is set to expire. You may stay in Canada while awaiting a decision if your existing visa expires while your application for an extension is still being reviewed. Your current status is regarded as implied status. 

How A Canadian Immigration Consultant May Assist You With Your Visitor Visa Application?

There are so many various immigration policies, laws, and visa options available, that determining what to apply for and how to apply can be difficult and confusing. The entire process can be stress-free for you if you hire an immigration consultant to carry the burden of the process for you. 

Fortunately, we are a full-service immigration consultant agency with an office located in Edmonton, Alberta Canada to provide support to you through the entire rigorous process. 

Over the years we’ve provided support for applicants in Edmonton and all over the world. We handle all the paperwork and make sure all the required documents are accurate and submitted timely. 

Your visa application is handled by the top leading immigration consultants Edmonton has to offer. We are dedicated to doing everything it takes to secure your success with your application. 



© 2018-2021 My Global Steps Immigration Inc.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms & Conditions