Electronic Travel Authorization

What is an ETA?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada.

Only travelers from countries who do not require a visa to visit Canada are required to get an eTA, and only if they are travelling to Canada by air. If you’re from a visa-exempt country visiting Canada by land, you do not need an eTA.

If you a citizen of any of the below countries, you will need an eTA:

Andorra Greece
Australia Hong Kong
Austria Hungary
Bahamas Iceland
Barbados Ireland
Belgium Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
British citizen British national (overseas
British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom) Italy
Republic of Korea Japan
British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of: Republic of Korea
Luxembourg Lithuania
Anguilla Malta
Bermuda Mexico
Latvia Liechtenstein
British Virgin Islands Monaco
Cayman Islands Netherlands
Falkland Islands (Malvinas New Zealand
Gibraltar Norway
Montserrat Papua New Guinea
Pitcairn Island Poland
Saint Helena Portugal
Turks and Caicos Islands Romania
British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom Samoa
Singapore San Marino
Brunei Darussalam Slovakia
Bulgaria Slovenia
Chile Solomon Islands
Croatia Spain
Cyprus Sweden
Czech Republic Switzerland
Denmark Taiwan
Estonia United Arab Emirates
France Vatican City State
Finland Germany

The following individuals do not require or do not qualify for an eTA:

  • Visa-exempt individuals entering Canada by land or sea;
  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents;
  • US citizens
  • Foreign nationals with a valid Canadian status document (e.g. workers, students, or visitors) who re-enter Canada after visiting the US or St. Pierre and Miquelon;
  • Foreign nationals with a valid Canadian temporary resident visa (TRV) or temporary resident permit (TRP)

If accepted, an eTA is electronically attached to an individual’s passport and is usually valid for five years or the duration of their passport, whatever is before.


Airlines do not allow a foreign national to check in or board their flight to Canada until they have a valid eTA, if needed. Generally, applications for an eTA are processed electronically. Some applications can take few weeks to process.

If an individual has applied for a temporary status document (e.g. a work permit or a study permit) at a Canadian visa office abroad or an extension of their temporary status document from within Canada, an eTA must be issued with their status document


© 2018-2021 My Global Steps Immigration Inc.

Privacy Policy  |  Terms & Conditions