Foreign workers who wish to work in Canada under the Significant Benefit- Entrepreneurs and Self-employed category have the option to apply for an Owner/Operator LMIA and work for their own company.
Unlike TFWP, Owner-Operator LMIA is exempt for advertising for the LMIA.
To qualify as Owner/Operator LMIA based work permit, a foreign national must:
- Display a minimum of 50% controlling interest in the business (Less than 50% can apply as an employee of the company)
- Not be in a position to be discharged from the role
- Must be classified under National Occupation Code (NOC) O,A or B
- Display that his business will bring and add to the economy of Canada and lead to employment of Canadians or Permanent Residents
- Show a business plan that can sustain financially
- Involved in the day to day operations of the business; not be a passive investor
- Hire at least one Canadian or Permanent Resident
- Demonstrate past experience and knowledge in the intended business
This option is available anywhere in Canada. If the business has multiple owners, only one owner can apply for the Owner/Operator LMIA. If a positive LMIA is achieved, the foreign national may be able to apply for permanent residency.
© 2018-2019 My Global Steps Immigration Inc.