Self Employed Program
The federal self-employed program is designed at attract applicants who intend to become self-employed in Canada in the eligible list of occupations. These applicants should intend to make a significant contribution to cultural activities or athletics in Canada.
To be eligible for the Self-Employed programs, the applicants must:
- Have relevant self-employed experience in an eligible occupation, i.e. in cultural activities or in athletics OR self-employed experience in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level
- Experience must be at least for two years and full time in the past 5 years before applying
- Demonstrate intention and ability to continue these cultural/athletic activities to self-support in Canada
- Self and family must clear the medical test and security risk assessments
- Demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support self and family once they arrive in Canada
- Have an intention to reside outside Quebec
Qualifying Occupations for Self-Employed Persons
|Major Group 51: Professional Occupations in Art & Culture|
|5112||Conservators & curators|
|5121||Authors and writers|
|5125||Translators, terminologists and interpreters|
|5131||Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations|
|5132||Conductors, composers and arrangers|
|5133||Musicians and singers|
|5135||Actors and comedians|
|5136||Painters, sculptors and other visual artists|
|Major Group 52: Technical Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation & Sport|
|5211||Library and public archive technicians|
|5212||Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries|
|5222||Film and video camera operators|
|5223||Graphic arts technicians|
|5225||Audio and video recording technicians|
|5226||Other technical and coordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts|
|5227||Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts|
|5231||Announcers and other broadcasters|
|5241||Graphic designers and illustrators|
|5242||Interior designers and interior decorators|
|5243||Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers|
|5244||Artisans and craftsperson|
|5245||Patternmakers – textile, leather and fur products|
|5253||Sports officials and referees|
|5254||Instructors in recreation, sport and fitness|
Selection Factors for Self-Employed
If the applicants meet the definition of “Self-Employed” then they will be assessed on the selection criteria mentioned below. Applicants must earn a minimum 35 points out of 100 possible points.
Ability in English and/or French
In contrast to most of Immigration Canada’s other permanent residence programs, the Self-Employed Program has no minimum need in terms of language abilities in French and/or English.
In case the applicant does not earn a minimum of 35 points, they can still apply. Visa Officers have the discretion to assess the profile for a fit and grant permanent residency. One has to request for a consideration in such a case.
© 2018-2021 My Global Steps Immigration Inc.